Skip to content
Russian base in northeastern Syria shelled by Turkish army, Kurds say
 | Local Business News

Russian base in northeastern Syria shelled by Turkish army, Kurds say

A Kurdish fighter was killed and three others were injured on Wednesday, November 23, in a Turkish bombing carried out using a drone on a Russian base in northeastern Syria, announced a Kurdish forces official, quoted by Agence France-Presse (AFP).

The victims are members of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), a coalition of which Kurdish militiamen are the main component and which has a position on the Russian base located in the province of Hasaké, he said. According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (OSDH), a non-governmental organization based in the United Kingdom and which has an extensive network of informants on the spot, a Russian soldier was also injured. Moscow has, for the moment, not reacted to this information.

On Tuesday, a Turkish bombardment claimed the lives of two Kurdish militiamen on a joint basis of their movement and the international coalition formed by the United States to fight the jihadists of the Islamic State.

Turkey “more determined than ever”

Ankara launched Operation ‘Armed Claw’ on Sunday, a series of airstrikes in northern Iraq and Syria, since followed by sustained artillery fire against Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) positions. and People’s Protection Units (YPG). Turkey has blamed them for the attack which left six dead and 81 injured on November 13 in Istanbul and threatens to launch a ground operation in northern Syria. The Turkish army says it has bombed 471 targets so far.

Read also Who are the Kurdish forces in Syria, bombed by Turkey?

Turkey is “more determined than ever” to protect its border with Syria from Kurdish fighters, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan repeated on Wednesday. “Our operation with our planes, guns and drones is just the beginning. Our determination to protect all our southern borders (…) through a safe zone is stronger today than ever. We will continue our air operations without interruption and we will enter the territory of the terrorists at the time that seems opportune to us., he launched to the Assembly. The Head of State assured on Monday that he was not ” No way ” that the operation launched on Sunday is limited to an aerial dimension.

The SDS ready for confrontation

His repeated threats worry Washington and Moscow, both involved in the war in Syria, which have appealed for restraint. The United States supports the YPG in the fight against the jihadists, while Russia has provided military support to the Syrian forces since 2015. Russian soldiers were also deployed in late 2019 in the Northeast, under an agreement concluded with Turkey to create a buffer zone.

Between 2016 and 2019, Turkey, which wants to create a “safe zone” 30 kilometers wide along its southern border, has carried out three major operations in northern Syria against Kurdish militias and organizations.

Read also: Article reserved for our subscribers Turkey’s war of attrition in northern Syria

The FDS commander assured that his men were able to repel a new offensive, for which they have been preparing since that of 2019. “We think we’ve reached a level where we can thwart any new attacks. At least the Turks won’t be able to occupy more of our regions and there will be a big battle. If Turkey attacks one region, the war will spread to all the others… and everyone will suffer”warned Mazloum Abdi.