World

The Australian government intends to place Djokovic in detention on the morning of January 15 – RT en français

The Australian government intends to place Djokovic in detention on the morning of January 15 – RT en français

Australian authorities have announced their intention to order the return of world tennis number one Novak Djokovic from detention on January 15. He will only be able to go out to attend court hearings concerning his case.

Australian authorities intend to order the return of world tennis number one Novak Djokovic from detention as early as the morning of January 15, government lawyer Stephen Lloyd said on January 14. The government wants the Serb to be released from detention only to attend, in the offices of his lawyers and in safe custody, the online court hearings concerning his case, said Stephen Lloyd.

The Australian visa of world tennis number one Novak Djokovic, who wanted to enter the country without being vaccinated against Covid-19, has been canceled for the second time, Immigration Minister Alex Hawke announced on January 14. This decision was taken “on grounds of health and public order”, said in a statement the minister, who underlines that the executive “is firmly committed to protecting the Australian borders, especially in the context of the pandemic of Covid-19 ”.

In the hours that followed, Novak Djokovic called on the courts to prevent his deportation from Australia, which Australian authorities accepted until the courts ruled on his appeal against its annulment. visa. The Serbian player has not, at this stage, been placed in detention by the authorities, said his lawyer Nick Wood, quoted by AFP. The lawyer also asked that his client remain free for the duration of the procedure, despite his unvaccinated status. “We are very concerned about the weather,” he added during a hearing before a judge in Melbourne, three days before the start of the Australian Open. This second visa cancellation also implies that the Serbian player, who was aiming for a 21st Grand Slam title at the Australian Open, a record, will be banned from entering the country for three years, except in certain circumstances. “Australians have made many sacrifices during this pandemic, and rightly want the outcome of these sacrifices to be protected,” Prime Minister Scott Morrisson said in a statement.

The controversy around the tennis player lies in the medical exemption he obtained to participate in the tournament after recovering from a Covid-19 infection in December. However, the player not being vaccinated, his recovery was deemed insufficient by the federal authorities for him to enter the country. The winner of 20 Grand Slam tournaments was therefore taken to an immigration detention center in Melbourne before his appeal was heard. Without being involved in Novak Djokovic’s medical exemption process, ATP said it had sought clarification from Tennis Australia.

The 34-year-old tennis champion’s visa had already been canceled for the first time on January 5 when he arrived in Melbourne, and Novak Djokovic was then placed in a detention center with a view to his deportation. However, the tennis player’s lawyers had won a resounding victory on January 10, by getting a judge to restore his visa and order his immediate release. Since then, the Serbian sportsman has been training for the tournament, and had to face his compatriot Miomir Kecmanovic, 78th player in the world in the first round. But the Minister of Immigration retained the possibility of revoking the visa again under his discretionary power.

Details to follow …

Malagigi Boutot

A final year student studying sports and local and world sports news and a good supporter of all sports and Olympic activities and events.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

5 × 3 =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button